EnergyGauge USA provides the following capabilities:
Automatic generation of reference buildings for easy one button compliance calculation of the following performance methods:
- Florida Energy Conservation Code
- IECC 2006, 2009, 2012
- RESNET accredited HERS calculation in rater versions
- U.S. EPA Energy Star® Homes qualification analysis in rater versions
- Energy Efficient New Home Tax Credit Calculation for IRS in rater versions
ACCA certified Manual J8 calculation is included in SizePro versions and can be calculated as room-by-room, zones or whole house
Detailed, hourly simulation modeling and reporting using an FSEC-enhanced version of the widely-respected DOE-2.1E building energy simulation program.
FSEC enhancements include: (1)
- More accurate computation of heating and cooling system part load performance
- More accurate prediction of indoor air relative humidity
- Coil airflow and system sizing impact on heat pump and air conditioner performance
- More accurate ground contact modeling
- More accurate attic modeling (including attic ventilation/ reflective roofing and radiant barriers) and
- Detailed hourly modeling of duct heat transfer and air leakage
- Hourly prediction of end-use electrical and gas energy consumption for evaluation of peak impacts.
Ability to compute energy impacts of systems used in high performance homes:
- Whole house mechanical ventilation systems including run-time ventilation
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Efficient appliances
Improvement Analysis capability with economic analysis
IECC and Florida code prescriptive methods:
- R-Value Method
- Total UA Method
EnergyGauge USA has been thoroughly tested and evaluated. The software has been used to simulate homes that have been monitored in detail in the field with excellent results (2) and has been subjected to the HERS BESTEST procedure, also with excellent results. (3) The EnergyGauge USA BESTEST Report is on permanent file with RESNET, the nation's Accreditor of HERS Providers and Rater Training Providers. The BESTEST Report is also available online here.
- Parker, D. et.al., 1999. "EnergyGauge® USA: A Residential Building Energy Simulation Design Tool", Proceedings of Building Simulation ‘99, International Building Performance Simulation Association, Organizing Committee for the 6th International IBPSA Conference, Department of Architecture Texas A&M University, TX.
(also online at
- Validation of EnergyGauge USA against monitored field data can be accessed on-line at: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-CR-1670-00/index.htm
- Documentation of EnergyGauge USA compliance within the HERS BESTEST can be accessed on-line at: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-RR-55-00/index.htm